[forge-dev] Packaging Forge for Linux

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 01:02:46 EST 2012

Creating and publishing Forge packages for Linux (Fedora, Debian & Ubuntu)
would really help boost adoption of Forge, IMO. Telling someone to download
an unzip seems simple enough, but there's just something even more elegant
about:

sudo apt-get install jboss-forge

or

sudo yum install jboss-forge

(no sudo if you're hip enough, one of those GUIs if your glitzy enough)

I just discovered today that Fedora is trying to make package development
easier than ever for Java developers. They've created a plugin for Eclipse
[1] that walks you through creating a package, starting from git clone all
the way to publish to Bodhi [2] (think of it like Nexus for Fedora, sort
of).

This may seem premature, but *trust me*, we want to think about this *well*
in advance so that we have some chance of getting into Fedora 17 or 18.
(The process for Debian / Ubuntu may go faster).

Btw, this will likely relate, tie into or help drive the JBoss AS7 on
Fedora initiative [3].

-Dan

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Packager_For_Eclipse_User_Guide
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bodhi