[forge-dev] DISCUSS: Forge Plugin Versioning Strategy

Marius Bogoevici mariusb at redhat.com
Wed Mar 14 11:24:21 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-14, at 10:32 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:

> In order to keep Plugin versioning sane, we should discuss the actual rules of our versioning strategy. From our meeting today, we discussed the following possible initial rules:
>
> Using OSGI versioning system
> Plugins referencing older forge API should run on newer Forge versions within the same N release for a version number N.x.x
> Plugins referencing newer forge API should not run on older Forge versions within the same N release for a version number N.x.x
I also think this should incorporate the concept of 'binary compatibility' somehow - i.e. *running* on a given Forge version vs *building* against a given Forge version. Rules can be more lax in the latter case (some things may not build from scratch in face of API changes, but already built versions may work.
> Thoughts? Would someone care to explain the OSGI versioning system?

It's a form of Major.Minor.Micro.Qualifier - with qualifiers sorted lexicographically.

Re: compatibility/versioning, I think that another set of rule you may want to take into account is: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html.