[forge-dev] GitHub: question on synchronization with master repository

Thomas Frühbeck fruehbeck at aon.at
Wed May 2 13:45:03 EDT 2012

Hi,
after having a look at receipt at
http://forge.github.com/docs/get_involved/contribute.html I would like
to clarify the use the repositories.

     - I have cloned forge/core to a private github repository
     - cloned my repository to my local system
     - generated a branch, committed changes, pushed to my github repository
All OK.

One thing is left: how will I get updates of the master forge/core into
my _remote_ repository, as there is no "pull" on github?

If I understood correctly, I can associate the remote master by "git
remote add upstream <git_master_repo>"
To get the changes of the "upstream" master I issued:
~> git pull upstream master

Now my local repository was up do date, but not my remote repository. So
I issued:
~> git push

which seemed to update my private _remote_ repository with the changes
from the remote "upstream" master.
So for me this means, that from now on I "remote control" my private
_remote_ repository via my _local_ repo.

Could you kindly comment/confirm/explain in more detail.

Thanks,
Thomas