[forge-dev] Forge 2.0 and OSGi

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:19:53 EDT 2012

Thank you all for this discussion - I have just now gotten caught up. Just
to be clear, I am not thrilled about the idea of requiring a special
tool-suite to develop on Forge itself, but I would be willing to put up
with it if using OSGi allows us to achieve our goals, which are (top 3):

1. Modularity and ClassLoader Isolation
2. Plugin/Facet services which can be depended upon by other plugins/facets
(essentially enabling re-use of work and exponential progress between
plugins.)
3. A *standard* *and simple* Maven / CDI development model for plugin
authors (no Felix)
4. Modules distributable and dependencies resolvable via normal maven
repositories (NOT with p2)

If these things are possible with OSGi and a little bit of elbow grease,
which it sounds like they are, then I think we should seriously consider
this for Forge 2.0.

~Lincoln

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Max, I hope you are kidding about going to p2 and tycho? :-)
>
> just as much as I'm hoping you are kidding about osgi ? :)
>
> /max
>

> > Paul, bnd is fine until all your dependencies have correct manifests.
> What happens if one of the jars that we depend on does not have the 'Export
> packages' entry? We cannot use this jar inside an OSGi environment, I think.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ivan
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Max Rydahl Andersen <
> max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 26 Sep 2012, at 14:53, Ivan St. Ivanov <ivan.st.ivanov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Max,
> > >
> > > About your "server" question in the last sentence. If you refer to my
> post, I was trying to make an analogy:
> > >
> > > server <-> applications == Forge core <-> Forge plugins
> > >
> > > Please, let us not go to p2, tycho and Equinox? :-)
> >
> > why not ? tons of plugin devs could learn from a proper setup tool :)

http://ocpsoft.org
"Simpler is better."