[forge-dev] Gradle Addon status update - Gradle project creation working :)

Max Rydahl Andersen manderse at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 03:21:51 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 03:29:46PM +0200, Adam Wyłuda wrote:
>Hey Max,
>
>I usually run it with Eclipse and first run of Gradle takes about 5
>seconds, I think that Gradle caches build files and that's why it works
>faster after that, but for every test new project is created so why it
>always takes so much.

not following - eclipse caches build files too; it doesn't need to build anything
so why would gradle be faster to run the arquillian tests than eclipse ?
Maybe I misunderstood your initial comment...just read it as arquillian became
faster to run because it was using gradle...which might be true - but just trying
to grok what magic it does (caching build files can't be the answer since eclipse does
that too and just launches the vm with junit which triggers arquillian).

>I think the solution for this may be installing forge.gradle in
>user/.gradle directory, so it will compiled only once, which will result in
>better test performance.
>
>About forge.gradle, it is library adding non-standard functionality to
>Gradle, which is used in Maven and project facets requires that, like
>profiles, setting archive name and managed/direct dependency support. Also
>it adds forgeOutput task which is used by addon to read effective project
>model (evaluated by running Gradle). In future if Gradle tooling API
>supports that we could remove it, but for now there is no better way to get
>information about the Gradle project. You can find forge.gradle contents
>here:
>https://github.com/forge/addon-gradle/blob/master/impl/src/main/resources/forge.gradle

ah okey interesting - and yeah, this is example of what eclipse would need too...
the gradle eclipse plugin uses the tooling api afaik (albeit very slow last time I looked).

What are the specifics you can't get from gradle tooling api ?

/max