[forge-dev] [Need Help to do some updates on my forge folder to get scaffold customized]

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 17:22:21 EST 2013

Well... it probably won't happen until we get Forge 2 out the door, sadly,
unless someone out there has some time to contribute to make it happen.
Forge 2 will make this much easier to do and hopefully we will re-design
the whole scaffold architecture so that resources can be made available to
metawidget from other addons more easily (actually this is already working
as seen in the resource addon.)

https://github.com/forge/core/blob/2.0/resource/api/src/main/java/org/jboss/forge/resource/ResourceFactory.java#L78

If we just want to be able to add template resources from disk, then that
would be fine as well, but I'd want to know what folks think is a
reasonably friendly way of doing this for end users. I really don't know
what would be good/acceptable.

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Richard Kennard <
richard at kennardconsulting.com> wrote:

> Ahmed,
>
> Yes - much of what you want to accomplish can be done by writing a custom
> WidgetBuilder (see http://metawidget.org/doc/**reference/en/html/ch02s04.*
> *html#section-architecture-**widgetbuilders-implementing-**your-own<http://metawidget.org/doc/reference/en/html/ch02s04.html#section-architecture-widgetbuilders-implementing-your-own>)
> and then modifying metawidget-entity.xml to hook it in. You may also modify
> the /resources/scaffold/faces templates (create.xhtml, search.xhtml etc).
>
> The hard part is how to actually *get at* these files to modify them. This
> has been an outstanding issue for some time. Lincoln can we make a New
> Years resolution to get some movement on this? https://issues.jboss.org/**
> browse/FORGEPLUGINS-68 <https://issues.jboss.org/browse/FORGEPLUGINS-68>
>
> For now you probably need to repackage your own plugin.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>

> On 3/01/2013 8:05 AM, Lincoln Baxter, III wrote:
>
>> Hello Ahmed,
>>
>> Welcome to the list.
>>
>> At first glance, it seems that you should be able to do this relatively
>> simply by modifying the metawidget XML configuration, and perhaps providing
>> your own generation class, but I will need to defer you to Richard Kennard,
>> the author of Metawidget, since he will know the answer (and hopefully be
>> able to tell you how to proceed without too much trouble on his part.)
>>
>> I am not too knowledgeable about this part of Forge. I've also copied a
>> few people who might be able to give advice with their experience writing
>> custom scaffolds.
>>
>> ~Lincoln
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Ahmed ELJABIRI <a.eljabiri at gmail.com<mailto:
>> a.eljabiri at gmail.com>> wrote: