[forge-dev] Support for the Gradle build system as a plugin for Forge

Adam Wyłuda adamwyl92 at gmail.com
Sun May 12 12:00:20 EDT 2013

Hi Lincoln!
Thank you for your response, it's nice to hear that my proposal is rated
positively.

I first thought that creating our own Groovy parser which works directly on
Groovy AST would be a good idea because that would give us more
possibilities than existing solutions, but you are right - there is a risk
that it might take more time than planned (although basic support could be
provided which could be sufficient to work on Gradle project files).

I have found this paper which gave me some insights on problems related to
Groovy script parsing and modification:
http://groovy.ifs.hsr.ch/groovy-refactoring.pdf

It seems that the biggest issue is how to rewrite code without changing its
formatting and how to keep comments in code. Groovy AST doesn't contain
comment nodes so if we want to use pure Groovy AST to parse it, we need to
include all whitespace and comments in our model, what is possible because
Groovy AST nodes include position in source information, so we could just
substring our source between statements, but it's hard because we need to
check thoroughly every expression as comments can appear between any nodes,
like this:
x = y + /* comment */ z

So as you said, it's better to use existing solution so we won't reinvent
the wheel. I think that Groovy Eclipse plugin is the best candidate because
it's API is similar to JDT plugin used in JavaParser (actually Groovy
plugin uses JDT and it even seems to be a part of JDT), so it will be more
convenient for other developers with JavaParser experience to maintain it.
The are also alternatives like NetBeans or IntelliJ IDEA plugin, but I
think Eclipse plugin is sufficient enough to work effectively with Groovy
sources.

Like you suggested I updated my proposal to give myself some time to
understand Groovy Eclipse plugin API and start working on Gradle project
support earlier.