[forge-dev] Forge 2 Addon List in Eclipse

ggastald at redhat.com ggastald at redhat.com
Wed May 29 17:18:43 EDT 2013

Hi Max and forge-dev subscribers,

I was discussing with Lincoln and we reached an agreement that the
current popup list that shows in the center of the IDE is not visually
that nice ( http://imgur.com/JvE8a9j).
It would be nice if we have something like
http://i.imgur.com/LyibyTP.png, however I recall that Max explicitly
mentioned that the Quick Access feature should not be used in any way,
but that we might have something like that available. I've been digging
into the Eclipse API and also found no way to reuse that, unless we
(somehow) register the wizards dinamically using the
"org.eclipse.ui.newWizards" extension point, but since I am not an
Eclipse expert, I may be missing something here.

My question is: Does it looks like a reasonable option to develop an UI
in the Forge 2 Eclipse plugin like Quick Access ?
Do you guys see any other much attractive UI option in Eclipse to
display these Wizards ?
Just reminding that these wizards are dynamic (they are built based on
the Addons installed in Forge 2), therefore they don't exist as an
Wizard class (hence not allowing adding them directly into the plugin.xml).
The latest code can be found in
https://github.com/forge/jbosstools-forge/tree/master/plugins/org.jboss.tools.forge.ui.ext

Looking forward to your suggestions,

Best Regards,

--
*George Gastaldi* | /Senior Software Engineer/
JBoss Forge Team