[forge-dev] Converting a Forge 1.4.x plugin to Forge 2.3.+

Lincoln Baxter, III lincolnbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 09:52:06 EDT 2014

Hi Lennart!

Good to hear from you! I am about to get on a plane, but in short, this
tutorial is what I think you are looking for.

Additionally, documentation for each addon can be found there as well
(above the tutorial): https://github.com/forge/core#available-addons.

Let me know if this is what you were looking for!

Of course, feel free to find us in #forge on irc.freenode.net - I'll be on
a plane, but George and Vineet and Koen and others should be around.

~Lincoln

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Lennart Jörelid
<lennart.jorelid at gmail.com>wrote:

> Good morning, all.
>
> It seems that the Forge community has been hard at work to refactor the
> Forge 1.x structure to Forge 2. Well done.
>
> I would simply like to migrate a decently complex add-on to Forge 2,
> implying I would want to find a solid step-by-step tutorial on how I should
> proceed. However, all of the documentation I have been able to find so far
> pertains to Forge1. While I feel I'm most likely missing something
> fundamental here, there may be other folks in the same position. So...
>

>    1. Where can I find a step-by-step tutorial on how to develop and test
>    a Forge2 plugin which accesses Maven libraries and Forge libraries?
>    2. Where can I find a cookbook on what functionality different APIs
>    provide? For example:
>       1. My *new-nazgul-project *add-on needs to create or use an
>       existing project structure, implying that it must detect if a project
>       exists and has the correct Maven GAV structure, some internal structure
>       details and the correct parent. I used to do this with a mix of Maven and
>       Forge 1.x functionality, but I wonder how I can find out how to do this
>       under Forge 2.x
>

> So ... I used to use the following resources to create directories,
> analyze POMs and generate resources. Of course, all is doable using raw JDK
> and Maven APIs, but likely much simpler with Forge APIs.
>
>     // Internal state
>     protected Shell shell;
>     protected ProjectFactory projectFactory;
>     protected ResourceFactory resourceFactory;

> +==============================+
> | Bästa hälsningar,
> | [sw. "Best regards"]
> |
> | Lennart Jörelid