[forge-dev] PermGen with JBoss add-on

Ståle W Pedersen spederse at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 04:53:04 EST 2015

hi, i didnt respond to this thread since i didnt quite understand what
the problem was, but daniel explained it to me so i think i have a
better understanding now.

so what you want is to have an option that have other options "under"
it. in this example "jvmargs" would support/enable -Xms, -Xmx, etc...

this is not something that æsh supports and from my knowledge its also
not common practice. there are no standards in the shell world (afaik),
so æsh tries to work as close to the "norm" as possible. atm æsh have
three different option types + arguments.
- Option, most common with a specific name that can have a value (not
  required)
- OptionList, similar to Option, but it can have multiple values (by
  default separated with ','). eg: --foo 1,2,3,4
- OptionGroup, is similar to OptionList, but support specific name for
  each attribute. eg if you have an optiongroup named 'X' you could do:
  -Xms=512m -Xmx=1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

to support what you're doing in your example you could for instance make
an OptionGroup command named 'X' be dependant on the 'jvmargs' option.
this means that the X option will not be "visible" for the user unless
the --jvmargs option have been set. this would enable you to do
something like:
--jvmargs -Xms=512m -Xmx=1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m

but have in mind that jvmargs is a separate option and X is a separate
command.

i hope this would work for you and let me/daniel know if you have other
questions/suggestions regarding æsh.

regards, ståle