[hibernate-dev] Does anybody read this list? Esp Steve

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at jboss.com
Fri Aug 11 09:13:57 EDT 2006

so this one never made it through ?:

Another capability that I would like to see would be to limit
instrumentation to only fields which are defined in a Hibernate mapping.
Currently the instrument tasks do not know anything about the mappings,
so the first change to allow this would be facilitate the passing or
definition of a Configuration into the tasks.  The tools already have
such a task used in their ant task stacks.  So we would need to decide
whether it makes more sense to move the instrument tasks over to the
tools subproject, or to consume the <configuration/> sub task from tools
into core and make use of it from the instrument tasks.

The "easiest" thing codewise is to move the instruments task to
hibernate-tools,
since the sourrounding <hibernatetool> task is the actual Ant entry point
and
the <configuration/>, <ejb3configuration>, <annotationconfiguration>, etc.
are defined in there.
There is also the whole freemarker/templating setup dependency.

...thinking about it an alternative way could be to define a superclass
for the current
org.hibernate.tool.ant.HibernateToolTask that would just handle the
core-built-in ant tasks.

then users would have the same ant "API", but users would have to change
their <hibernatetool> taskdef
to use the "tool" provided tasks.

Another context for this alignment/move is the talks we have had about
allowing customization of
schemaexport/update ...that would also be relevant to ensure it fits into
this scheme.

--
/max

> The last dev related mail I got from you is the one regarding the
> SecondPass
>
> Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>>
>> I have the same feeling ;)
>>
>> Did my follow up on the byteinstrumentation and ant task make it out to
>> you guys ?
>>
>>> OK so you intentionally do not reply to my emails ;-)

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
max at hibernate.org