[hibernate-dev] Connection proxying

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at jboss.com
Wed Aug 30 16:01:00 EDT 2006

>> The question was simply whether exposing the
>> Work/command APIs justify removal of the connection() method from the
>> perspective of using it for direct JDBC work.  I do not know that answer
>> to that.  Unfortunately, I suspect it does not and that we will need to
>> keep connection() around; but one can dream.
>
> I'd keep connection() around and not deprecate it, no matter what better
> solutions we find for the various use cases. We can hide it in the API
> documentation and like we do now, document the problems. It's just too
> useful to deprecate it. Also remember the public riots when JDO 1.0
> didn't have an easy way to get a JDBC connection.

I agree this is also a reason/same reason to keep it, but I do think (at
least for now ;) that
@deprecate would make sense.

Not @deprecate as in "it will be removed", but @deprecate as how it is
done for e.g. Date and some of its constructors.

Those constructors are still around because they are usable in some
contexts but with @deprecate it is made explicit and documented
that they are 'bad' and what the consequences are for using it.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
max at hibernate.org