[hibernate-dev] Hibernate search(lucene) update question & opinion.

Jin Yiqing yiqing.jin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 02:27:47 EST 2006

Hi,

I found the cool new feature of hibernate search in Lucene-user mail list by
Emmanuel's mail.

u guys did a very greate job!  Since i am now working on a system that using
lucene to implement a search engine, i would like to know some more
details about Hinbernate Search.

  I have read some of the code in Hinbernate 3.2GA release, the code is
pretty cool, but  there is one thing i doubt:

  For the update operation Hibernate Search used remove & update.which refer
to Lucene's deleteDocuments method.  This will works fine when the operation
does not have high frequency and the index is new.
  But as i know  the remove operation in lucene only marked a tag for the
deleted document without actually delete the data ofr index files. We know
in some systems the data would be updated in a very high  frequency(eg. an
traffic status query system), then it will not take a long time that the
index will be filled with lots of expired document data,  even if the data
update is not as fast as a traffic status, i think this problem is still
very critical since things we stored in databases are always updating.

 Is there any way to solve this in Hibernate Search?

thanks,
Richie