[hibernate-dev] User defined generic bag

phi hibernate at bitidentities.com
Thu Apr 5 09:02:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

NHibernate 1.2 always returns an PersistentGenericBag for an association
marked as Bag. For a project we are currently working on, we needed
support for our own List implementation.
NHibernate already supports an attribute "collection-type" on bags, but
for generic collections this is ignored. I patched NHibernate to take
into account for user defined collections and would like to ask if there
is any interest in merging this into the official NHibernate code.

What I did:
.) Modified TypeFactory.CustomCollection to accept an additional
"System.Type[] genericArguments" parameter.
.) Modified NHibernate.Mapping.Collection.CustomCollection to call the
aforementioned method.

So by implementing IPersistentCollection and providing a custom Type the
extends BagType one can easily provide its own persistent list.

Currently, I only did this for associations that use bag semantics but I
think this could be enhanced pretty well.

If there is any interest please drop my a line and give me directions
where to put the code (JIRA?).

Cheers,
phi