[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search master/slave

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Fri Jan 12 20:03:23 EST 2007

Recently I've been working on Hibernate Search clustering.
Hibernate Search will have the ability to work in a master / slave mode.

Every node has a local copy of the index and can read it (ie query it).
When an update is required (actually when a transaction scoped list of
updates are required) by a node, a message is sent to a master node
responsible to update the master index.
On a regular basis, each node acquires a copy of the master index in
local to stay up to day asynchronously.

My first implementation involves JMS, but one could imagine using:
 - JBoss Messaging standalone in headless mode (when it's done)
 - a servlet controller receiving http requests
 - whatever you want

Thoughts?

The project moves slowly from a library to a library + infrastructure
project. The focus will stay on the library side, but I am think of
having some helpers to build the server side (ie build a ready to deploy
EAR or WAR)