[hibernate-dev] Re: docbook + maven

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 6 08:45:23 EDT 2007

> Sure. What we do is we package the styles in a zip file using a
> standard maven project and the build-helper-mojo from codehaus. The
> zip file contains not only the CSS, the XSLT parameters but also the
> images linked to the style.
>
> Next, in a "doc" project, we depend on the zip above and we use the
> dependency plugin to inject the data (dependency:unpack) in the
> target/${artifactId} directory where the docb sources are copied.
I am not overly familiar with this dependency plugin, but the overall
approach sounds essentially the same as I described in my "staging"
approach.  The concern I had was knowing which dependencies to pull
resources from.  I would then guess that this dependency plugin you
mention requires you to explicitly state the coordinate to be unpacked;
essentially doubling the config?

> Now, we have a hard dependency on xmlto for the actual generation. If
> we can use a more elegant solution, I'll be glad to test :)
I am not overly familiar with 'xmlto' other than the fact it exists ;)
>From my understanding, it is an xslt framework, right?  I just use SAXON
inline with the plugin using a Transformer built based on the
configuration, project, etc.  The only drawback I have seen is the fact
that SAXON eats large amounts of memory.