[hibernate-dev] Re: hibernate testsuite on DB2 7.2

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu Mar 22 15:19:16 EDT 2007

It would appear the DDM bit is specific to iSeries/AS400.  Is that what you are
running the DB2 instance on?

Found some more info (did you try a web search?):
http://www.aquafold.com/docs-jdbcdrivers-db2.html
<quote>
DB2 7.2 JDBC Driver - DB2 7.2 is the database which has the most connection
issues. JDBC drivers for database version are not compatible, neither are they
compatible across fixpacks. Updating your DB2 JDBC driver to the version which
you are using is always a good idea. The DB2 Server installation provides JDBC
drivers for the version and fixpack in use. You may copy the provided JDBC
driver and overwrite the driver provided by ADS. You can copy the
/sqllib/java/db2java.zip that comes with your installation and overwrite the
/ADS_INSTALLATION/lib/db2java.jar file.

- NOTE: The DB2 7.2 JDBC driver does not connect directly to the DB2 Server, but
to a proxy server which is installed with the DB2 Server. This proxy server can
be started with the db2jstrt[.exe], which defaults to port 6789. The process is
enabled by default in most installations.
</quote>

I love the "most connection issues" quote ;)

Also, this particular article seems to indicate that DB2 7x does not have
support at all for a Type4 driver, which is apparently the com.ibm.db2.jcc
package):
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/0203zikopoulos/0203zikopoulos.html

This has nothing to do with Hibernate.  It is a simple JDBC connection issue.
What happens if you try to connect via direct JDBC with these same
driver/settings?  Have you tried the drivers that explicitly came with the
install of DB2 you are trying to use?