[hibernate-dev] hibernate-extras

Max Rydahl Andersen max.andersen at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 11:03:14 EST 2007

> Also, how do we jive this with Max's need to build a SessionFactory
> which does not have access to the underlying database for tools usage?
> Max, this would depend on how you use these SessionFactories, and the
> Dialect associated with it.

My main issue with database connections for configration and
sessionfactory building
is:

1) The database might not be needed at all (e.g. for pure codegeneration
 from the metadata)

2) The database might not be running at all when doing development
(related to 1)

3) It can be *really* slow to create connections and read metadata (gives
bad user experience in an ui)

4) Not all users have access rights to read this metadata information

So iff this gets added to the dialect then I would say the following
should be true:

1) There should be an option/flag for not giving the dialects the option
to spend time getting the metadata

2) Since the dialects might not get the connection or the user does not
have proper rights to inspect the metadata they should
have sensible defaults anyway  - or even be able to get the base
information like major/minor version from other settings etc.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate
max at hibernate.org