[hibernate-dev] Hibernate 3.3.0.GA released

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Mon Aug 18 08:48:26 EDT 2008

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:36:23 +0200, Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> Steve Ebersole wrote:
>>> http://in.relation.to/Bloggers/HibernateCore330GoesGA
>>
>> Very nice!
>>
>> Will new arrangements for syncing artifacts to Maven2 central now be
>> going active, or it is still up to interested third parties to file
>> requests for a manual copy of specific artifact versions in codehaus
>> JIRA?
>
> What is wrong with using the official jboss maven repo ? :)

Two things come to mind immediately:

(1) Why should I require extra manual configuration for Hibernate when I
don't for a multitude of other Java dependencies? The other side of this
is that Maven is less than graceful in dealing with multiple
repositories, with artifact searching being a dumb linear search across
each configured URL.

(2) Maven2 lacks any mechanism for managing same-named artifacts in
different repositories. For that reason, in the interests of being
vaguely confident in my build reproducability, I try to avoid
third-party repositories, or at least only use those that are strictly
limited to offering only their own organisation's artifacts. The jboss
repo seems to be some weird hybrid between a mirror of central, an
upstream distribution point for jboss projects, and a bunch of
duplicated/additional artifacts under non-standard names.

Max.