[hibernate-dev] 3.3 and maven-eclipse-plugin

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Tue Aug 19 10:09:08 EDT 2008

Chris Bredesen wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Chris Bredesen wrote:
>>> and it creates them with
>>> the assumption that the project names are the same as the artifact ID.
>>> This is in fact not the case.
>>
>> It should be the case, and is for me. What is it for you, and have you
>> any idea why it's different?
>
> The project dependency in cache-ehcache, for example, is created as
> depending on 'hibernate-core' and 'hibernate-testing'.  The physical
> directories that these projects are located in are 'core' and 'testing'
> respectively.  When I remove the errant project deps and open the dialog
> to re-add them, I'm given 'core' and 'testing' as possibilities and
> those work fine.
>
> No I sure don't know why they're different, hence this email :)
>
> I don't know why maven would assume a project is named after its
> directory and not its artifactId.  I can tell you this was not a problem
> in the earlier days when 3.3 was trunk.  I wonder what changed?

The maven-eclipse-plugin has always assumed that the eclipse project
name is equal to the artifactId (unless you configure it otherwise) -
this isn't really an assumption, since this is the project name that it
writes to the .project file.

There does exist a corner case however - once you import a project into
Eclipse, Eclipse no longer cares about the name value in the on-disk
.project file. I suppose you had the relevant directories added to
Eclipse using manually created rather than plugin-generated projects.

If you delete the projects from the Eclipse workspace and re-import what
the plugin generates, it should correctly name them "hibernate-core" and
"hibernate-testing".

> Have you built recently?

Just now.

> I'm using Maven 2.0.8-SNAPSHOT...will try with
> 2.0.9.

Why would you be using such an old snapshot? Or a snapshot at all? Not
that I think it's the problem in this case.

Max.