[hibernate-dev] Copyright on hibernate XML interface?

Oliver Plohmann oliver at plohmann.com
Thu Jul 24 15:33:59 EDT 2008

Hello,

I already posted this question to a hibernate forum but didn't receive
any answer. That's why I saw no way round posting to this mailing list.

I'm working on a mapping tool that maps Java objects to RFCs. This is
somewhat similar to mapping Java objects to relational database tables
(though much simpler). I therefore got the idea to use the hibernate
hbm.xml mapping syntax for this Java-to-RFC mapping tool, because there
is no point in re-inventing the wheel and many many people know
hibernate and will therefore quickly feel at home when using this
Java-to-RFC mapping tool if it uses the same mapping XML syntax as
hibernate.

My question is now whether also this hbm.xml mapping syntax is
completely free and may be used for another purpose than hibernate
itself or whether permission has to be granted by the authors of
hibernate. I just want to be really sure before I start, because
changing the mapping syntax in the middle of the race is a lot of work.

Thanks in advance, Oliver Plohmann