[hibernate-dev] Re: Hibernate Search: massive batch indexing

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 20:14:31 EDT 2008

thanks for your insights :-)
I'll try explain myself better inline:

2008/6/7 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>:

> This sounds very promising.
> I don't quite understand why you talk about loading lazy objects though?
> On of the recommendations is to load the object and all it's related
> objects before indexing. No lazy triggering should happen.
> eg "from User u left join fetch u.address a left join fetch a.country"
> if Address and Country are embedded in the User index.

I am talking about the lazy object loading because it is not always possible
load the complete object graph eagerly because of the cartesian problem;
the "hints" I mention in point A is mainly (but not limited to) the left
join
fetch instruction needed to load the root entity.
However if I put all needed collections in the fetch join I kill the DB
performance and am flooded by data; I have made many experiments to
find the "gold  balance" between eager and lazy and know for sure it is much
faster keeping most stuff out of the initial "fetch join"
My current "rule of thumb" is to load no more than two additional
collections,
the rest goes lazy.
Also we should keep in mind the eager/lazy/subselect strategies
going to be chosen for the entities will probably be selected for
"normal" business operations finetuning and not for indexing performance;
I had to fight somehow with other devs needing some setting for
other usecases in a different way than what I needed to bring indexing
timings down.

> I think the E limitation is fine, we can position this API as offline
> indexing of the data. That's fair enough for a start. I don't like your
> block approach unless you couple it with JMS. I am uncomfortable in keeping
> work to be done for a few hours in a VM without persistent mechanism.

I am glad to hear it's fine to position it as "offline" API, as a start.
Do you think we should enforce or check it somehow?
For later improvements the batching IndexWriter could be "borrowed" by
the committing transactions to synchronously write their data away,
we just need to avoid the need of and IndexReader for deletions;
I've been searching for a solution in my other post... if that could be
fixed
and a single IndexWriter per index could be available you could
have batch indexing and normal operation available together.

"this pool is usually the slowest as it has to initialize many lazy fields,
> so there are more threads here."
> I don't quite understand why this happens.

I suppose I should show you an ER diagram of our model; in our case but I
believe
in most cases people will search for an object basing his "fulltext" idea on
many different
fields which are external to the main entity: intersecting e.g. author
nickname with historic period,
considering book series, categories and collections, or by a special code in
one of
30 other legacy library encoding schemes.
The use case actually shows that very few fields are read from the root
entity, but most
are derived from linked many-to-many entities, sometimes going to a second
or third level
of linked information. I don't think this is just my case, IMHO it is very
likely most
real world applications will have a similar problem, we have to encode in
the root
object many helper fields to make most external links searchable; I believe
this is part of the
"dealing with the mismatch between the index structure and the domain model"
which is Search's slogan (pasted from homepage).

> So what is the impact of your code on the current code base? Do you need to
> change a lot of things? How fast do you think you could have a beta in the
> codebase?

I still have not completely understood the locks around the indexes; I
believe the impact on current code is not so huge, I should need to know
how I should "freeze" other activity on the indexes: Indexing could just
start but other threads will be waiting a long time; should other
methods  check and throw an exception when mass indexing is busy?
Is it ok for one method to spawn 40 threads?
How should the "management / progress monitor API" look like?
I didn't look at similarity and sharding, is it ok for a first beta to avoid
this features? I don't think it should be difficult to figure out, but would
like
to show working code prototypes asap to have early feedback.
I think that if the answers to above questions don't complicate my current
code the effort to integrate it is less than a week of work; unfortunately
this translates
in 4-6 weeks of time as I have other jobs and deadlines, maybe less with
some luck.
How should this be managed? a branch? one commit when done?

> Let's spin a different thread for the "in transaction" pool, I am not
> entirely convinced it actually will speed up things.

Yes I agree there probably is not a huge advantage, if any; the main reason
would be to have "normal operation" available
even during mass reindexing, performance improvements would be limited
to special cases such as a single thread committing several entities: the
"several" would benefit from batch behavior.
The other thread I had already started is linked to this: IMHO we should
improve the deletion of entities first.