[hibernate-dev] Work on HHH-3110

Chris Bredesen cbredesen at redhat.com
Thu Jun 19 17:49:31 EDT 2008

Les Hazlewood wrote:
> I agree with you Chris, it does better simulate it.  But Hibernate has
> always been deployable outside of a container.  Shouldn't it retain
> that philosophy in its code base as well, architecting flexible
> approaches that work seamlessly both in a JEE container and out?
>
> That's my belief...

Sure, and that's exactly why all this stuff is pluggable.  An
alternative would be for the TM projects to incorporate implementations
of the Hibernate classes that most efficiently use their own APIs.
MySQL, for example, provides a JBoss ValidConnectionChecker that is
statically linked to their own driver.  Collaboration like this is
great, IMHO.

Does your proposed implementation require Atomikos to be on the
classpath in order to build Hibernate?  The use of JNDI decouples
Hibernate from the TM in a well-specified way.

-Chris