[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Core 3.3.0.CR1

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri May 2 00:00:23 EDT 2008

The Hibernate team is pleased to announce the release of Hibernate
Core 3.3.0.CR1.  This release features:
* a redesign of the "second level cache" SPI
* a new integration with JBossCache 2.x taking full advantage of this
new SPI (special thanks to Brian Stansberry for his help and hard work
on this)
* introduction of the org.hibernate.jdbc.Work API for performing JDBC
work without interfering with connection release modes

Another change in this release from previous releases is the switch
Maven, which has a few implications for users.  The biggest is the
splitting of the project into what Maven terms modules.  Essentially
we utilized modules for isolating optional features sets.  For
example, there is a module for the integration of JBoss Cache 2.x as
the "second level cache".  In terms of users, that means that there is
a separate jar defining that integration.  But also, for those using
Maven or another library which understands its notion of transitive
dependencies, the specific dependencies of JBoss Cache 2.x are
isolated to just that module.

The Maven artifacts are deployed to the JBoss Maven repository (http://repository.jboss.org/maven2
) under the groupId of org.hibernate.  The main artifactId is
hibernate-core.  Over the next few days we will be writing up some
descriptions for the web site describing the various modules/
artifactIds and the purpose of each.

For those not using Maven, we do still build a dist for upload to
SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=40712&package_id=127784&release_id=595668

There have been a few issues identified with the SourceForge bundles.
They have all been pretty minor and none code related.  The issue with
the biggest impact is probably the fact that a few dependencies are
missing from the bundles.  We have identified jta.jar, javaassist and
cglib (and its asm deps).  These will be corrected for another CR and
eventual GA.

Steve Ebersole

Project Lead
http://hibernate.org