[hibernate-dev] Sync maven jboss repo with central repo?

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Fri May 16 13:28:57 EDT 2008

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
>> Yes, I also forsee the pissing contest unfortunately.
>>
>> Part of the problem is that there are the same artifacts in both
>> repositories with differing poms.  Which pom is correct?
>
> I vote for the pom maintained by the dev team behind the project - anything
> else is an approximiation.
>
> I'm not saying our pom's are perfect, but at least they are now actively maintained.

However, there's also the "Release versions may never change once
published" rule, which applies for good reasons:

* If released artifacts are changed, builds depending on them are
unexpectedly non-reproducible.

* If released artifacts are changed, there's no mechanism for updates to
happen to local repositories caching the old versions, so some people
will see the old version and some the new, indefinitely.

Now, arguably, both of the above would best be solved with architectural
 changes to Maven, but for the moment, strict adherence to "no changes
to releases once deployed" is the only way to maintain a modicum of sanity.

What would be nice, is for automated syncing of all *new* releases to
the jboss repository to be initiated, which surely can't be that
controversial? (Though there may be issues where new releases depend on
things in the jboss repo that are not in the central repo, but I guess
they'll need addressing on a case-by-case basis anyway.)

Max.