[hibernate-dev] use_compound_file

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Tue Nov 11 11:17:37 EST 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 16:07:06 +0100, Emmanuel Bernard
<emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

> It seems that a few parameters should not be configurable per
> transaction|batch
>   - use_compound_file
>   - max_field_length? not sure
>   - term_index_interval (is that a config influencing IndexReader?)
>
> What do you think?

+ 1 for not configuring them per transaction|batch. I am not sure whether
you can actually
really 'harm' the system, but it just seems wrong.

In fact there is already a sanity check in
LuceneIndexingParameters.doSanityChecks() which should
print out a warning when the max_field_length for batch and index differ.
However, there is actually
a bug, batchParams is never used ;-)

I would go even one step further and add eg another paramter/flag to the
IndexWriterSetting enum -
'groupable'. If someone tries to set a paramter via the batch|transaction
syntax and the groupable
paramter is set to false we throw an exception. And yes, groupable is
probably a bad name ;-)

--Hardy