[hibernate-dev] CharacterTypeMapping within Oracle10gDialect

Thorsten Gast thorsten.gast at accelsis.biz
Wed Nov 12 10:46:03 EST 2008

Hi,

I just wonder if there is any reason, why the Oracle10gDialect uses the characterTypeMapping of the Oracle9iDialect, and doesn't implement its own. As far as I know is the usage of long-columns in Oracle10g "deprecated" and should be replaced by clobs.

Shouldn't look the mapping something like this?

---- snippet ----
	protected void registerCharacterTypeMappings() {
		registerColumnType( Types.CHAR, "char(1 char)" );
		registerColumnType( Types.VARCHAR, 4000, "varchar2($l char)" );
		registerColumnType( Types.VARCHAR, "clob" );
	}
---- snippet ----

Or are there any reasons why I should prefer the usage of long-columns within hibernate.

Best regards

Thorsten