[hibernate-dev] Re: [Search] making updates to the indexes concurrently

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Nov 21 07:32:16 EST 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:58:53 +0100, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think the best option would be to have a separate
> Executor for each directory provider: otherwise it could happen
> that a slowly reacting index could block correct operation from others,
> as many queues could pileup targeting the same DP and exausting
> the threads, which would all stay locked and collapse to a single
> threaded model.
>
> This makes me think we should need to create one executor
> per DP, each one using just one thread: additional benefit is
> that no locking would be needed, we can remove all barriers
> in the backend (unless batch mode enables concurrent usage of the
> IndexWriter)

Hmm, sounds a little counterintuitive to me. Is the whole idea behind the
Executor framework not
to have a single Executor which is backed by a pool of threads? Then
again, I am not
so familiar with this. Just a thought.

Removing barriers sounds good though :)

--Hardy