[hibernate-dev] [infinispan-dev] Spliting Lucene segments in Infinispan Directory

Manik Surtani manik at jboss.org
Thu Aug 6 10:33:09 EDT 2009

For some reason this got swallowed.  Thanks for resending, Emmanuel.

My comments inline.

On 6 Aug 2009, at 15:19, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>
>> Date:  August 4, 2009 08:53:07  EDT
>> To: Manik Surtani <manik at jboss.org>
>> Cc: hibernate-dev at lists.jboss.org, infinispan-dev at lists.jboss.org
>> Subject: Re: [infinispan-dev] [hibernate-dev] Spliting Lucene
>> segments in Infinispan Directory
>>
>> Manik,
>> do you have some insight? We can't really understand why this is
>> split.
>>
>> Emmanuel
>>
>> On  Jul 30, 2009, at 19:51, Łukasz Moreń wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The JBoss Cache directory for Lucene splits each Lucene segment into
>>> pieces - chunks. Similar solutions exists in Lucene RamDirectory
>>> implementation.

Smaller chunks mean smaller replication units, and finer grained
locking (although the latter may not really be useful since you want
to lock the entire 'file' each time).

>>> Are there some pros to use such splitting approach in Infinispan
>>> directory case? Some buffer size is recommended?

For Infinispan though, I suggest not really bothering with this,
unless you feel that individual files would really be very large and
possibly too large to fit in memory - in which case chunking would
make sense again.

Cheers
--
Manik Surtani