[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Validator next version

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Tue Jan 27 12:09:33 EST 2009

The next version of Hibernate Validator will be Bean Validation based
and contain a bridge to support legacy Hibernate Validator.
I am wondering about the version number.

We have three approaches:
  - name it 4 but still  make it work with Hibernate 3 platform
(waiting for the 4th coming)
  - name it 4 but not making it work for Hibernate 3
  - name it 3.2 and make it work with Hibernate 3 platform

option 2 is a no go as JPA2 will be Hibernate 3.x based more likely
than 4 based.
option 3 is a bit of a shame because HV is a massive improvement and
API change
so that left option 1 but it means we break the "keep the same
platform number paradigm"

I think we should go for option 1 nevertheless but wanted to ask.