[hibernate-dev] HSearch: Using sharding and avoiding query on multiple shards

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:27:24 EDT 2009

I am having a similar need in these days; this should be a very useful
feature, but I'd like more something I could use with the existing API
like

enableFullTextFilter( "MyShardsSelectionStrategy" ).setParameter( ... )

a practical example:
enableFullTextFilter( "LanguageFilter" ).setParameter( "IT-it" )

The existing IndexShardingStrategy should be able to be smarter and
have something like

DirectoryProvider<?>[] getDirectoryProvidersForQuery( filters && options )

So a smart ShardingStrategy could do some selections considering this.

I'm currently using sharding to shard my index on 25 different
languages (using per-language stemmers), so this would
be useful but I'd especially need to be able to "label" my different
DirectoryProviders using String identifiers,
I'd suggest to add a getName() to the DirectoryProvider interface: I
would use that to store countrycodes and
keep a map<String,DirectoryProvider> in my ShardingStrategy, so I can
easily select the right DP when
the LanguageFilter is enabled.

Another usage would be to shard an entity on an Enumerated property:
in this case an appropriate ShardingStrategy
could be provided by Search and auto-configured by reading the
possible enum values: that would be a very easy way
to enable sharding on an entity.

Sanne