[hibernate-dev] HSearch : new feature "blackhole" backend

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:15:00 EST 2009

Hi,
I've implemented a really trivial new backend (can be configured to
replace the jms or lucene backends)
called "blackhole" as the same named MySQL engine
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/blackhole-storage-engine.html).

It doesn't to anything :-P , and that's why it's useful!
When replacing the default backend with it I can do some performance
measures and profiling in hibernate search disabling the actual
writing to an index;
this was initially not meant to become a "feature" but was only a tool
of mine to figure out some stats.

I was thinking now that other people may find it useful to test
settings and fine tune configurations, mostly to answer
the question "why is it slow?". This way you can tell them "not
because of indexing..." (writing at least).
Do you think it could be useful to have this committed to trunk? I'll
give it a short name "blakhole".