[hibernate-dev] Hudson jobs - cleanup and matrix X trigger

Juraci Paixao Krohling jcosta at redhat.com
Fri Mar 13 10:39:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

I was looking into our current Hudson jobs, and would like to suggest
some changes:

- - We currently have two views: Hibernate and Hibernate trunk. I propose
to remove Hibernate trunk and create a Hibernate EAP.

"Hibernate" would contain all community projects and all relevant
branches. Including the ones we don't have today.

"Hibernate EAP" would contain all EAP jobs, for binary testing and
branch testing. Hibernate Standalone would be here too, even though it
is not "EAP". Feel free to suggest a name which includes "EAP" and
"Standalone" :-)

- - All non-matrix jobs would be changed to matrix jobs.

Non-matrix jobs[1] are real jobs. As such, we can run a specific
configuration at any time we want. The problem is that we almost never
run a specific configuration (specially in community). Most of the jobs,
AFAIK, runs based on "scm pooling", so, keeping the view clean seems
more important than the ability to run specific configurations.

Matrix jobs are job containers which runs the same build for N
configurations, but the configuration itself is not a "real" job, in the
sense that we don't have a "Configure" option, nor "Build now". So, they
can only run as a whole (officially). But we are still able to create
temporary jobs if we need to run a specific configuration (like the
recent work with Sybase/MSSQL new dialects).

Also, currently we have some jobs which runs only on hsqldb. As you can
imagine, those jobs will be removed as part of this item, in favor of
matrix jobs.

Regarding some maven builds we have in Hudson: I'll remove them too.
They are not deploying artifacts to any public repository. They are
going only up to "install", which installs it on local hudson
repository. In the next step, I can setup a maven build which deploys to
some external public repository, but for now, I'd remove them to avoid
confusion.

The proposed changes, if nobody is against it, will take place in some
steps:

1) Move all current jobs to a temporary view: "Hibernate Trash"
2) Mark all jobs as "disabled"
3) Move the jobs we'll keep to the proper view (like, Branch_3_3 to
"Hibernate")
4) Mark those jobs as "enabled"
5) Create the missing jobs
6) One month after step 5, I'll permanently delete the jobs in Hibernate
Trash (as well as the view itself).

So, if you need some job, it will still be there for a month in
Hibernate Trash, but disabled. You'll need to enable it. But please,
just before you mark it as "enabled", do let me know. I can point you to
some appropriate job, or move it to the proper view if needed.

- - Juca.