[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Planning

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Mar 23 09:31:53 EDT 2009

1) If commons-annotations *does not* rely on hibernate-core in any way
then I'm fine to break it it back out if that makes sense.  However
y'all need to be *extremely* careful about this and making sure about
compatibility.  The whole idea about moving these things back together
was to make the compatibility "matrix" more manageable.  Making
incompatible changes in dependency common to core/annotations/em and
search effectively makes those things incompatible as well.  Same for
integrating it into annotations.

2) From now on we will be doing "full" releases.  Starting with 3.5,
that "major release" moniker will apply across all of the modules now
bundled into core (annotations, em, envers) meaning that there will be
no API incompatibilities introduced *within* a major rev across all
those modules.  JPA2 development will be 3.5.  The initial 3.5 releases
(alphas, betas, crs) will revolve around JPA2 support.

3) Depends what you mean by "handling".  If you mean deciding what
features, when and such (aka planning) then that's something we will all
need to do together.  If you mean actually performing releases I totally
understand that you want to do them and will graciously step aside for
you to fulfill that dream :)  For real, we will probably all be doing
some.

4) Yes, the basic planning is done from the core side of things, minus a
few minor features.

I am always on IRC, so we can chat whenever y'all want; y'all are the
ones that seem IRC-averse ;)

-

Steve Ebersole
Project Lead