[hibernate-dev] Some minor improvements to Hibernate Search

Amin Mohammed-Coleman aminmc at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 17:00:54 EDT 2009

Hi All
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I agree that the Spring integration should actually be done on the Spring
side.  To be honest I have been somewhat annoyed with Spring and agree that
putting Spring into the Hibernate Search isn't probably a good idea.  It
makes sense for Spring to be doing the work to integrate with Hibernate
Search.  I have created a Spring Integration Lucene indexing project on
Google code which basically does aysnc indexing, this application takes in a
directory and indexes files (extracts text using apache tika).

2) The reason for this came about when I was developing something for our
application.  Basically we have 2 products, one of the products has
knowledge of the other so basically A knows certain things about B however B
doesn't know about A (our crazy codebase).   In B some entities are
hibernate search indexed and some of the data is required in A.  So instead
of returning the entity to A, B publishes an event with some data and then A
gets the lucene document from the B's index (hope people are still following
me at this point), and populates an entity which is subsequently indexed in
A.  I created this method in A's codebase and thought that it would be handy
to get the raw lucene document without creating a FullTextQuery and the do a
search.  The aim is to read a document using a convenient method to do this
on the FullTextSession.

In relation to GigaSpaces, i started on this and created a openspaces
project but there really hasnt been much momentum on it and as you guys have
done work around JGroups, JMS I thought it might be a nice addition.  What I
would like to do help as much as I can and I'm happy to do what you guys
need doing (writing documentation, writing tests, etc).  To be honest I'm
hoping for some guidance from you guys.   As I mentioned before Hibernate
Search is a really great library and I would like to help whatever way I
can.

P.S Hadoop and Hibernate Search?

Cheers
Amin