[hibernate-dev] 3.6

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Fri Apr 9 09:49:03 EDT 2010

One item scheduled for 3.6 is dropping JDK 1.4 support.  Which leaves
the question of whether to go 1.5 or 1.6.  I know 1.5 is within its EOL,
but I dont think that should be the deciding factor.

Really I was more thinking of JDBC differences and (1) not having to
maintain different JDBC 3 and JDBC 4 code and (2) leveraging some JDBC 4
features.  TO me the big question comes down to what environments do we
know that do not support JDK 1.6

Another option is to make the intermediate jump to 1.5 since I will not
be making the changes that would require compile time dep on 1.6 in our 3.6.

But at any rate, I'd like to understand the environments which currently
do not support 1.6.

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org