[hibernate-dev] adding a binding to a boolean method in Search's @Field to enable/disable

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Mon Feb 22 04:03:57 EST 2010

I am not 100% certain mueller's use case is right as the query could probably be rewritten backward to eliminate the "flatenization" due to the denormalization. But you were saying that you could have used such feature and I was wondering about it.

yes I mean isFieldEnabled(value, entity, field). It seems less intrusive to me than a dynamic flag on @Field or an EL.

On 22 févr. 2010, at 09:54, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Hi Emmanuel,
> it's not my usecase, it's described in the forums:
> https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1002800
>
> You mean something like this:
>
> boolean isFieldEnabled(Object value, Object entity, String field);
>
> (having value,entity,field parameters as in Discriminator )?
>
> Sanne
>
> 2010/2/22 Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org>:
>> I guess we can do like we've done for @AnalyzerDiscriminator.
>> But can you describe your use case a bit deeper?
>>
>> On 22 févr. 2010, at 09:29, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>> there's a user on Search's forum which is asking for a new feature:
>>>
>>> https://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1002800
>>>
>>> We already had cases of people wanting to enable/disable indexing at
>>> instance level; in this case he wants to avoid indexing certain fields
>>> in some conditions; reading a boolean property in the same indexed
>>> instance would be good enough.
>>> I'm unsure about the binding expression, but the idea of having each
>>> Field enabled/disabled independently would indeed have helped me in
>>> other situations, preventing me from writing a full ClassBridge for
>>> just some special fields.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sanne