[hibernate-dev] Project layout

Andersen Max max.andersen at redhat.com
Fri Jun 18 11:21:12 EDT 2010

On Jun 18, 2010, at 17:05, Steve Ebersole wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:26 +0200, Andersen Max wrote:
>> I'm still confused why these things are to be mixed together and not just separated out so the IDE's classpath/scopes
>> matches the compile scopes (seems like neither Eclipse, intellij nor netbeans would be able to mimic
>> what is being attempted in Gradle?)
>
> Consider:
> `cd core`
> `mvn install` <- works ok, the *unit* tests passed
> `cd ../testsuite`
> `mvn test` <- well shoot, now we have failures.
>
> Sure would have been nice if the hibernate-core installation could have
> failed, huh?  ;)

I thought Gradle had knowledge about these dependencies so the above aren't needed even in multimodules ?

i.e. doesn't Gradle have something similar to mvn -am or mvn shell which know how to build the "reactor" (maven's term, I
assume Gradle uses another one - in eclipse its just the project build dependencies)

>> Anyway, eclipse can have multiple output directories, but only one classpath so you would probably
>> be able to get things to compile or code complete in eclipse that won't compile in the Gradle build but if that is not a concern
>> then things should be fine.
>>
>> btw. Its really a shame core will no longer be easy to import into Eclipse.
>> It's back to the "everyone attempts their best in creating an eclipse config" from the old Ant days ;(
>
> `gradle eclipse`
>
> Why is that "everyone attempts their best in creating an eclipse
> config"?

Last time I used it launch configs were broken and the jdk it referred to were wrong
and if I enable some facets on the config gradle eclipse overwrites those settings.

mvn eclipse:eclipse or mvn idea:idea (name check) has the exact same problems - hence why I always tell people to *not* use it
but use the IDE integration which can handle these things without overwriting you setup ;)

/max