[hibernate-dev] Database with UUID support

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu May 27 08:01:49 EDT 2010

Anyway, the discussion here wrt this UUID project is all about
generating the UUID value in Java.  The first point is to determine
whether there is any benefit to relying on the database to generate
these for us in the cases when they can.

Secondly there is the question of if we are going to do it in Java then
what is the correct approach.  Both libraries mentioned here (UUID and
JUG) use MAC address resolution in building the uuid value.  JUG is
updating to use java.util.UUID, but relies on native code for
mac-address-resoltion; UUID use its own UUID class but does not need
native code for the mac-address-resolution (it uses OS-sniffing and
system calls).  Heck maybe we offer this as a strategy configurable with
the Configuration/SessionFactory.

interface UUIDGenerationStrategy extends Serializable {
    public int getGenerationVersion(); // informational
    public UUID generateUUID(SessionImplementor session);
}

But first things first...

Do we use database uuid generation if supported?  Is that itself perhaps
just a strategy?

Steve Ebersole <steve at hibernate.org>
http://hibernate.org