[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-615 Support time-constrained queries returning the first available results

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Sat Nov 6 11:24:16 EDT 2010

The other option I've been thinking about is to get limitFetchTime() / limitTimeAllowedTo() to return a Future object or some equivalent notion say a BooleanHolder.

BooleanHolder hasPartialResults = query.limitTimeAllowedTo(500, MILLISECONDS, hasPartialResults);
query.list();
if ( hasPartialResults.get() ) {
  //do stuffs
}

But:
 - that's a bit weird to get a future in this sync API
 - it breaks the method chaining used in the rest of the API

Another possibility is to optionally let people pass the boolean holder that is populated after the call

BooleanHolder hasPartialResults = new BooleanHolder();
List results = query.limitTimeAllowedTo(500, MILLISECONDS, hasPartialResults).list();
if ( hasPartialResults.get() ) {
  //do stuffs
}