[hibernate-dev] String primary keys

Norman Bauer normanbauer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 09:55:53 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I am working with a legacy database where pretty much all the primary
keys are strings and user defined. I'm using Grails to build out the
front end to the underlying database (Rocket UniVerse and my own
customized dialect for U2). Using GORM I can map columns and rows
fairly easily and view all the data, the problem starts when I want to
add a new record, I get the message below:

Executing action [save] of controller
[onemoretest.CustomerInfoController] caused exception: this id
generator generates long, integer, short; nested exception is
org.hibernate.id.IdentifierGenerationException: this id generator
generates long, integer, short

Which of course is because I am using user defined string via  "id
generator:'assigned', column: "@ID", type:'string'" in my domain.

My question is this, where can I override that behavior. It would be
great to do it in my dialect so as not to break other unknown things
elsewhere.

Thanks,

Norm