[hibernate-dev] HV 4.2 and joda-time jar CNFE issue (but used to work with HV 4.1) ...

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Thu Aug 4 10:59:06 EDT 2011

Hi,

support for Joda time is new in Validator 4.2. See also
https://hibernate.onjira.com/browse/HV-307
as you can see in the pom joda time is an optional dependency for HV 4.3
(https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/service/local/repositories/central/content/org/hibernate/hibernate-validator/4.2.0.Final/hibernate-validator-4.2.0.Final.pom_

As far as I know AS 7 is still shipped w/ Validator 4.1 and its
dependencies. There is an issue for upgrading
to Hv 4.2 in AS 7 - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/AS7-967

If the user want to use the Validator version provided w/ AS7, then he
indeed has to update the jars and module definitions.
If he has all jars (HV 4.2 + deps) bundles within the application I am not
quite sure how class loading works in this case.

I wonder though what he is actually validating (the actual annotated
bean). He is mentioning HV 4.1 and there we did not even have joda time
support
so I don't see how he validated Joda time instances using 4.1 without
providing a custom ConstraintValidator.

Hope this helps,
--Hardy