[hibernate-dev] JIRA Pull Request Workflow

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue Dec 20 12:40:47 EST 2011

During today's IRC meeting we discussed some changes to JIRA to better
deal with GitHub pull requests.

The first change was to introduce a new issue field for holding a list
of pull request urls.

There is also a new issue status named "Pull Request Pending".
Currently it is not "hooked in" because there are no active workflow
transtions using it.

That is the next step, to introduce a specific JIRA workflow to manage
the transitions around "Pull Request Pending".

In terms of in-flowing transitions, I see:
* Open -> Pull Request Pending
* Reopened -> Pull Request Pending
* In Progress -> Pull Request Pending
* Awaiting Test Case -> Pull Request Pending
* Resolved -> Pull Request Pending

For out-flowing:
* Pull Request Pending -> Open
* Pull Request Pending -> Reopened
* Pull Request Pending -> In Progress
* Pull Request Pending -> Resolved
* Pull Request Pending -> Closed

So far all that is manual.

The final step would be integration with GitHub based on its event
handling, specifically pull request events to add some automation.  For
sure one automation would be when a pull request is added, to add the
pull request url to the JIRA issue(s).  Potentially we would transition
the issue to "Pull Request Pending" status.  Potentially on closing the
pull request we might also transition the issue back out of "Pull
Request Pending" status.  However, there are some difficulties with
these automated transitions.  See the weekly IRC developer meeting notes
from 12/20 for details.

Thoughts/ideas?

steve at hibernate.org
http://hibernate.org