[hibernate-dev] HSEARCH-471 Ability to selectively index an entity based on its state

Hardy Ferentschik hibernate at ferentschik.de
Fri Jan 14 16:43:42 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:24:07 +0100, Emmanuel Bernard
<emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:

>>> * SearchFactory.enableIndexing(boolean) // enables/disables globally on
>>> the fly
>>> could operate on existing boolean
>>> org.hibernate.search.event.FullTextIndexEventListener.used
>>
>> +1 This is something I was wishing for some time back. It should be easy
>> to implement as well. This option should then also be exposed via JMX.
>
> What's the use case behind it?

I think it would allow for application which are completely manageable via
some user interface. At the moment you set the auto indexing option or not.
If I could programmatically change it I could do things like stop
auto indexing, do db modifications, purge the index, re-index, enable
event indexing.

>>> * entity controlled, via an annotated boolean property
>>> I'd mandate a boolean property, or something which can be easily
>>> evaluated via a SQL fragment / Criteria / filterable, so that the same
>>> information could be reused
>>> by the MassIndexer when picking all values to be indexed.
>>
>> Not sure I understand exactly what you mean.
>
> @Entity @Indexed
> public class MyEntity {
>
>   @SkipIndexing
>   boolean isIndexed() {
>      return status == TEMP;
>   }
> }

Wouldn't the other solution be more generic?

--Hardy