[hibernate-dev] building hibernate-search for testing HSEARCH-679

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Jul 6 14:06:39 EDT 2011

Hi Adam,
thanks for the reminder, sorry the issue was not assigned to me so it
was lost in the pile of low priority things.

I've been looking into it today, and thanks a lot to your testcase as
stepping through it clarified the case.
Unfortunately I have bad news, this is more complex than what I
expected as it seems it will require changes in Hibernate Core: even
if that was easy we're working on Hibernate4 so this fix will depend
on moving Hibernate Search to depend on Hibernate4 (that's going to
come very fast - I'm just saying that this fix is very unlikely in an
hypothetical version 3.4.1 but will need to be Hibernate Search 4.0.0
in best case)

In short:
The event we (H.S.) receive from Hibernate Core only contain this
information "org.hibernate.search.test.engine.optimizations.LocationGroup.locations
was updated"
We don't know exactly what changed, so there's no way for the listener
to know that you only added a new element (or which one), they might
potentially be all different so an update on the whole collection is
required to guarantee changes are not lost.

Sad to have found such a limitation in H.S. and not being able to help
you quickly, but thank you a lot for spotting and reporting it. Please
get in touch on the forums if you need some help to implement a
workaround.

In case you want to try help contributing a fix (that would be very
nice) you can start by pulling this
https://github.com/Sanne/hibernate-search/tree/HSEARCH-782
where I've updated your testcase to actually expect the correct case
(so it currently fails), but I'd suggest waiting a bit for it to be
updated to Hibernate 4.

Sanne

2011/7/5 Adam Harris <adam.harris7 at gmail.com>:
> Any chance to look at HSEARCH-782 yet?
> Adam
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Adam Harris <adam.harris7 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Done - HSEARCH-782
>> Thanks and enjoy your holiday.
>> Adam
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Sanne Grinovero <sanne at hibernate.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Adam,
>>> actually could you open a new issue and attach your test to it? And
>>> please assign it to me. I don't think this is exactly the same as
>>> HSEARCH-679, they are likely related but this is more an improvement.
>>> We need to track all changes anyway.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Sanne