[hibernate-dev] [HSEARCH] Hibernate search core module proposal

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 1 03:49:28 EDT 2011

On 23 mai 2011, at 17:00, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

>> Hi Davide,
>>

>>> today I've downloaded the hibernate-search sources and my eclipse has
>>> a problem importing the maven projects because the parent folder has
>>> the same name as one of the sub-folders:
>>
>> what was the problem? I personally never had any problems importing the
>> Hibernate Search
>> project. Admittedly I am using Idea, but I know Sanne is using Eclipse and
>> he never mentioned
>> any problems.
>>
>>> I was a bit surprised because others Hibernate and JBoss projects I
>>> saw so far seem to use the "-core" suffix for the main module.
>>> Shouldn't hibernate-search follow the same convention?
>>
>> So you suggest hibernate-search-core as module and artifact name? I guess
>> that's a fair
>> request. I think the reason for the main module being called
>> "hibernate-search" is that
>> for a long time we only had one single relevant module (the testing ones
>> don't count imo).
>> With hibernate-search-analyzers and especially hibernate-search-infinispan
>> around it might
>> be at the time to change the module name.
>>
>> The only drawback is that people are by now used for the main artifact
>> being called hibernate-search.
>> Switching to hibernate-search-core will create even more confusion in the
>> maven repositories.
>>
>> Not sure what the others think. The importing of the current project
>> though should not be
>> affected either way.
>
> yes importing the project in eclipse has this slight flaw currently. I
> never bothered that much, as it seems more an eclipse flaw and I don't
> import it again every day.
> But indeed Davide makes a point in that it seems common across many
> JBoss projects to have a "project-name-core" named main module.
> Infinispan names it just "core".
>
> It would be fine for me to rename it, assuming it doesn't create a
> mess when backporting patches?

Well we know back porting will be an issue but I expect the amount of backporting to be somewhat minimal between Hibernate Search 3.x and 4.
I think we can consider a Hibernate Search Core module if we end up moving the Hibernate Search code dedicated to Hibvernate Core into a separate module. What do you guys think?

We could decide to keep hibernate-search as an artifact that is a simple aggregator to hibernate-search-core and hibernate-search-hibernate-core (SIC) (or should it be hibernate-search-orm?)

Lastly, we could consider moving to org.hibernate.search as a groupId for 4.