[hibernate-dev] Fwd: something wrong with our git repo?

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Jun 1 04:34:43 EDT 2011

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 10:15:54 +0200, Sanne Grinovero
<sanne.grinovero at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some time ago I experienced a similar issue with Hibernate Core's
> repository,
> and solved it by renaming my master, checking out a fresh copy and
> rebasing in my changes from my local copy.

Right. That was the second option. Keep what was on master on GitHub and
rebasing the local changes on top of it.
We did it the other way around, because we thought that most people
would have the state we had locally. So restoring this would create less
issues.

> From what I understood, (when it happened before) it seemed that
> somebody had renamed the master from another branch, but I could have
> messed up differently.

Well, I stay away from renaming master :-)
In the long run I would like us to move Core development to the same
development
style we have in Search and Valiator. Everything is done via pull requests.
Not only would this prevent situation like this one, but it also increases
code awareness, since you see what is happening across the whole code base.
Maybe Search and Validator are a little easier to handle, because we are
less
people working on it, but I think this should not stop us to try a similar
approach on Core.
Maybe not a good time to start right away with this due to the amount of
changes
atm, but maybe once the code settles a little more ...

--Hardy