[hibernate-dev] Building with debug/trace log level

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Fri Nov 18 10:06:27 EST 2011

Hi,

we recently discussed on IRC the need to run the builds with debug/trace
level.
I totally agree that at some stage we should be able rely on upstream
testing, speak testing
within JBoss Logging. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be good enough.

I just switched from default 'info' logging to 'debug' and got errors in:

Test org.hibernate.test.criteria.CriteriaQueryTest FAILED
Test org.hibernate.test.legacy.FooBarTest FAILED
Test org.hibernate.test.legacy.FumTest FAILED
Test org.hibernate.test.legacy.ParentChildTest FAILED
Test org.hibernate.test.subselect.SubselectTest FAILED
Test org.hibernate.test.unionsubclass.UnionSubclassTest FAILED

Looking at one of the test errors I think the problem is related to passing
wrong parameters to formatted messages:

java.util.UnknownFormatConversionException: Conversion = '1'
	at java.util.Formatter.checkText(Formatter.java:2503)
	at java.util.Formatter.parse(Formatter.java:2485)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2414)
	at java.util.Formatter.format(Formatter.java:2367)
	at java.lang.String.format(String.java:2769)
	at org.jboss.logging.Log4jLogger.doLogf(Log4jLogger.java:55)
	at org.jboss.logging.Logger.logf(Logger.java:2143)
	at
org.hibernate.internal.CoreMessageLogger_$logger.debugf(CoreMessageLogger_$logger.java:571)
	at
org.hibernate.internal.util.EntityPrinter.toString(EntityPrinter.java:121)
	at
org.hibernate.event.internal.AbstractFlushingEventListener.logFlushResults(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:134)
	at
org.hibernate.event.internal.AbstractFlushingEventListener.flushEverythingToExecutions(AbstractFlushingEventListener.java:110)
	at
org.hibernate.event.internal.DefaultFlushEventListener.onFlush(DefaultFlushEventListener.java:49)
	at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.flush(SessionImpl.java:1082)
	at
org.hibernate.test.criteria.CriteriaQueryTest.testEscapeCharacter(CriteriaQueryTest.java:114)

I think before the final release we will need to build with debug/trace
level to fix these issues.
I am also wondering whether the logger should not behave a little more
graceful.

--Hardy