[hibernate-dev] on broken usage of logger

Hardy Ferentschik hardy at hibernate.org
Wed Nov 23 05:49:08 EST 2011

Hi,

this revives my email from Friday
(http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/hibernate-dev/2011-November/007307.html)
where I noticed this problem as well.

Generally speaking Sanne is of course right and the right logging method
should be used,
but does the logging framework really have to propagate the exception
thrown by String.format?

I don't think it has to. I don't think that logging should cause an
application to die.
Couldn't the Logger just catch the exception and write out the unformatted
message optionally
followed by an additional warning?

--Hardy