[hibernate-dev] API changes in FieldBridge

Sanne Grinovero sanne at hibernate.org
Wed Sep 7 14:21:02 EDT 2011

On 7 September 2011 20:07, Emmanuel Bernard <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:
> I had to read the conversation quickly. A couple of comments.
>
> I am concerned about making FieldBridge a stateful component, this will increase our metadata footprint by a lot. Most bridges are currently singletons. This won't be possible with this new design approach.
>
> LucemeOptions is not so much a data placeholder than a holder for helper methods (namely addFieldToDocument, addNumericFieldToDocument) which use the proper user declared settings wrt Lucene options. Remember we almost got the getters removed from this interface at one point.

we'll keep this in mind and polish the idea looking for ways to
minimize the footprint: we can reuse instances where possible, for
example all the wrapped StringBridge implementations don't need to be
duplicated, and what we add to the FieldBridge will be removed from
where it used to be. Also, this doesn't affect StringBridges which are
more frequently used.